I have a neighbor that says to me every time I see her, “You look tired today.” And I think, “Yes, you can stop telling me that,” but I just smile and say, “I am.” I am. I am a mom, business women, home school teacher, wife, cook, housekeeper and more. All the things that you are. You know how it is.
What can be done to prevent this comment from coming so frequently? Well, plenty, including saying no more often and going to bed earlier. But since I’m not ready to slow down just yet, I’ll have to find a better way. I’m thinking Botox, Restylane…oh, what the heck, how about a face lift? Just kidding (kind of).
The area to start when wanting to improve your looks, including looking more rested, is the eyes. The eyes tell it all. When you don’t take care of yourself, the eyes are puffy with dark circles. They are showing those dreaded fine lines, or maybe even crows feet. Worse, the eye itself is red and dry. The windows of your souls are dull. No more fun and games, it’s time to get serious and get your eyes in tip-top shape!
Here are a few tips to help reduce puffiness and dark circles:
- Drink more water. Fluids help flush out toxins that build up.
- Exercise to help flush out toxins as well.
- Cover the puffy area with frozen tea bags, cucumber slices, or the back of an ice-cold spoon to provide some temporary relief. Elevate your feet slightly above your head while you relax for 5-10 minutes.
- The skin around the eyes is very thin and is full of blood vessels which make it very sensitive. Make sure you are using a product specific for the eye area. Other products may irritate the eye.
- Are you smoking or drinking? If so, cut back…way back…or better yet, stop all together.
- If you have sinus pressure, check with your doctor. Chronic sinus condition or a nasal allergy can result in under-eye puffiness.
- Reduce sodium in your diet.
- Get happy! Crying causes puffiness, rubbing causes irritation.
- Ok, I have to say it, and maybe even listen to my own advice…get more rest!
Taking care of your health is always key to improving the look of your skin but on some days you just need to know how to fake it till you make it. For those of you needing those tips today, here are some ways to camouflage the problems:
- Learn how expert makeup artist apply concealer and follow their lead. Concealer is a girl’s best friend!
- Use a white, silver or nave eyeliner pencil on the lower water line of your eyes. They all help your eyes look brighter!
- Curl your eye lashes. This will literally make your eyes look more open!
- Avoid shimmer shadows. The shimmer will fall into your fine lines and instantly age you.
- Wear a bronzer on your cheeks. Tanned skin always looks less tired!
- Wear a beautiful lip color-and a smile- to attract attention to your lips rather than your eyes!
- Use Visine to combat dry eyes or to knock out the redness.
In the end, be proud of who you are. You feel, and look, less tired if your optimistic and kind.